Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Making His Mark by Jennah Scott




Title: Making His Mark
Author: Jennah Scott
Blurb:
One kiss is all it took for Alexis Catori’s world to turn upside down. One kiss with a man she thinks can help her move beyond her past.

Bo Nantan has one rule when it comes to tattooing: he refuses to ink his friends. Until Alexis asks him to do her work.

Bo tries to refuse, but decides maybe there is a compromise that will work. Together they discover their compromise is about more than just art, it’s facing the past so they can move on with the future.


Links:
Making His Mark on Goodreads
 
 Kala's Review:

The cover of this book is pretty much the only thing good about it. I struggled to finish it and have put it aside many times to read other things. I don't even know WHY I finished it. I used to think I had to finish every book I started and I've wasted so much time reading things that I hate. I always try to at least get halfway before putting it down and I should have done that here.

Making His Mark starts off dull and continues that way. For the entire novel. There's no real conflict or plot, other than Alexis acting like a raging hormonal bitch all the time.

Example: (Bo buys her flowers)

"These are lilies and they're orange. Both my favorites, and I've never told you I loved lilies. These aren't just flowers. You got them for a reason, spill it."

"Guess you'll have to wait and see."

"Whatever. I have a job to do."


She's just rude like this throughout the entire book. While she's not the most hated novel heroine I've ever read, she's definitely top five. There's pretty much nothing likable about her. Bo isn't the best, but he's at least a decent person. Alexis just flies off the handle constantly, over the most minor things.

I guess I should expect it though considering the entire conflict of the novel is over whether or not Bo should do Alexis' tattoo for her. She asks him to do it, he says he doesn't tattoo friends, she gets emo about it, he tattoos a friend and she finds out (and flips out), and he agrees to do her tattoo.

His reason for not doing tattoos on friends doesn't even make sense (Waaa my parents told me I'd never amount to anything).

I like a fluffy romance novel, but there should at least be SOME real conflict. I don't give a fuck whether or not Bo does her tattoo. A tattoo is not a real conflict.

The author creates other bullshit conflict, but it's all so dumb and minor and facepalmingly bad. Another example, Bo gets Alexis tickets to a Taylor Swift concert (her favorite singer).

At the concert, Bo is kind of grinding/feeling up on Alexis. She gets pissed at him, telling him that the parents of kids at the concert wouldn't like that and makes him stop. He doesn't get mad, he just says okay and stops. Immediately after, Alexis starts molesting Bo. He tells her to stop and winces about his blue balls. Alexis flips out, cusses him out and breaks up with him.

UH... WHAT?

I could have dealt with the flimsy boring plot if the sex was good, but the sex was awkward and boring. Who wants to read a sex scene with lines like this?

Bo had an unobstructed view of Alexis' moistened entrance to her core.

I just get a vision of him between her legs staring in to a huge gaping vagina.

Pass on this one.
 
1 out of 5 stars.

Link to Kala's review on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/522728004

No comments:

Post a Comment