Thursday, September 13, 2012

On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

 

 

Title: On Dublin Street
Author: Samantha Young
Blurb:
Four years ago, Jocelyn Butler left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Edinburgh. Burying the grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without any real attachments has worked well for her so far but when Joss moves into a fantastic apartment on Dublin Street, her carefully guarded world is shaken to its core by her new roommate's sexy older brother.

Braden Carmichael is a man who always gets what he wants. And what he wants is Jocelyn in his bed. Knowing how skittish Joss is concerning any kind of relationship, Braden proposes a sexual arrangement that should satisfy the intense attraction between them without it developing into anything 'more'. An intrigued Jocelyn agrees, completely unprepared for the Scotsman and his single-minded determination to strip the stubborn young woman bare... to the very soul.

Contains strong adult content. For readers ages 18+


Links:

On Dublin Street on Goodreads

On Dublin Street on Amazon

Samantha Young's Website
 
 Kala's Review:


As soon as I finished this book I said to myself THIS is what all those damn ignorant 50 Shades of Grey fangirls should be reading if they want actual GOOD romantic erotica. Seeing everyone swoon over Edward CullenChristian Grey makes me sick to my stomach. Seeing FSoG being held up at this shining standard of sexy erotica has caused me to almost lose faith in humanity.

However

I truly believe that if some of those FSoG fans were given truly amazing erotica to read, something like ON DUBLIN STREET, they would realize what complete and utter TRASH FSoG is.

THIS is how you do sexy alpha male who is NOT crazy abusive controlling stalker.

THIS is how you do fleshed out, tortured, fucked up characters without making them pathetic and weak and crazy beyond redemption.

Jocelyn was nearly perfect as the heroine with a completely messed up path who has tried to deal with all her shit in the best way she knows how, though it hasn't been the most healthy way. She's smart enough to realize her way hasn't been the best way, and she struggles to change it, but that doesn't happen overnight.

Braden. HOLY SHIT SEXY ALPHA MALE ALERT. The guy has a dirty mouth and is a monster in bed, but also has a softer side that we eventually get to see. His soft side doesn't make him a complete sap though. When he falls for Jocelyn there isn't a flip of the personality switch where he becomes a lapdog - he stays the same person and FUCKING A IT IS SEXY AND HOT!

This story wasn't perfect, but I'm sitting here so happy after reading is that I want to go read it again. That's after spending the last two hours or so reading it nonstop, unable to stop turning pages. I have a million other things I want to be doing right now, but I'm so worked up over this book that I HAD to come online and read other reviews about it and write my own. I am seriously considering hitting the "go to beginning" button on my Kindle and reading it again tonight. I don't mind a story with a few flaws when it makes me feel like that.

There was one, and only one, scene where I actually facepalmed and had a WTF moment. Early in the books there is a scene where Braden walks in on Jocelyn and it's a pretty embarrassing situation. During that scene, Jocelyn refers to her vagina as her "vajayjay"



PLEASE NO!

Never use that word, ever! It completely ruins the entire scene when I burst out laughing and smack myself in the forehead. Most awful term for vagina EVER!

Fortunately it happened early on and I was able to get past it. :P

I also felt like the trauma some of these characters suffered was a little too much. I don't want to get in to detail here, because a lot of it is major spoilers, but damn there was enough angst and shit going on without adding in more. Primo example is the whole scene where Braden gets mad at the guy who was flirting with Jocelyn and we find out how he knows that guy. How realistic was that? Was that really necessary? I think the scene would have been just as good without that added 'bonus.'

Even so, this book is fucking awesome.

5 out of 5 stars :)

Link to Kala's review on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/413064791

No comments:

Post a Comment