Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick



 Title: My Life Next Door
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Blurb:
A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.


Links:

My Life Next Door on Goodreads

My Life Next Door on Amazon


Huntley Fitzpatrick's Website


 
 Kala's Review:

 
Finally got this from the library!  This book was a really great read - I was surprised at how much I liked it!  When I found out that this was a debut novel, I was even more surprised.  I don't know why, but I was.

My Life Next Door is absolutely fantastic.  Every single one of the characters is believable and real and likable in some way.  Samantha (the main character) lives with her politician mother who is snobby and really hates their next door neighbors - the Garretts - who are a loud and loving family with eight children.

Samantha has always watched the Garretts from her window and envied their lifestyle.  She eventually meets Jase Garrett and the two fall in love.  Their whole relationship was just so... REAL.  I can't think of a better way to describe it.  I get so tired of reading about insta-love between teenagers, or the whole "you're a drug to me" unhealthy relationships that are so common in YA these days.  It was just so refreshing to read something that I could actually see happening in real life.

Although the romance between Samantha and Jase is a major part of the book, the big themes seem to be the growth of Samantha as a person, and the evolution of her relationship with her mother.  Both of these are fascinating to watch unravel and grow as the story progresses. 

My biggest complaint about this book has nothing to do with the writing, the author, the story, or the characters.  It's with the publisher.  I would have purchased this book if the e-book had been reasonably priced (which is about $7.99 max for me when it comes to an author I don't know).  $10.99 for an e-book is ridiculous!  Thankfully, I was able to check it out from the library and I'm so glad I did!  Highly recommend this book!

5 of 5 stars.


Link to Kala's review on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/414138148



No comments:

Post a Comment