Sunday, September 23, 2012

Avoiding Commitment by K.A. Linde



Title: Avoiding Commitment
Author: K.A. Linde
Blurb:
Jack and Lexi never had a typical relationship. After 2 years without speaking, she receives a phone call that changes everything. He unexpectedly asks her to convince the new girl, Bekah, that he's ready to commit. Jack is calling now after everything they had been through because there is another woman. She can't believe it. Follow Lexi in this heart wrenching drama as she relives her past relationship, or lack thereof, with Jack, and not just in her own mind, but to his fiance-to-be. Throw in Bekah's hot brother who always seems to be in the right place at the right time, a past with more secrets to unravel than you can even imagine, and you get a recipe for disaster. Find out what happens to Lexi as she travels to Atlanta to get the closure she so desperately desires from Jack, and how the bumps of life seem to keep getting in the way.


Links:

Avoiding Commitment on Goodreads


Avoiding Commitment on Amazon


K.A. Linde's Website (Facebook)


 
 Kala's Review:

 

This review has spoilers!

I finished this book last night and I've been thinking about it for hours. It's nothing like I expected. I expected it to be a typical romance type novel with a happy ending for Jack/Lexi. Instead it was the roller coaster ride of lies and deception between both of them that left me feeling almost shattered at the end.

Lexi is an interesting character. A lot of reviewers expressed hate for her, but I didn't hate her. Yes, she does some terrible things, but she at least tries to fight it. She has this addiction to Jack and she struggles to get passed it for the entire book, but Jack just won't let her. I was really hoping for his redemption at the end. I like happily ever afters. I was really hoping that Jack would finally figure it out, but he never does. I've re-read the last conversation between Jack and Lexi and I still can't figure out what the hell is going on in his head.

Ramsey seems to be popular with everyone, but I think he's just as toxic for Lexi due to being the brother of Jack's girlfriend (future wife?). I don't see any scenario where her dating Ramsey works out. Her love and addiction for Jack won't just go away, but she will always be forced to be around him. Jack's feelings for her are the same - seeing her around Ramsey will keep the whole thing going indefinitely. Lexi needs to kick that whole Atlanta crew to the curb and move on with her own life in NYC. Plenty of other fish in the sea, leave those rotten ones in Georgia please!

I know she kinda does that at the end, but it still felt unsatisfactory, I think because she lets Ramsey kiss her at the airport. After everything that happened in the office, I wanted her to give Jack a big FUCK YOU and then give Ramsey a big FUCK YOU too. She didn't pressure Ramsey much at all about what Bekah said, and that made me mad. She just let Ramsey steamroll her into agreeing to possibly start a relationship with him sometime in the future even though that would be a terrible thing for her given who his sister is.

I definitely plan on reading the next book in the series, whenever it comes out. It appears to be another roller coaster with Ramsey and Jack, but I'm curious to see how things turn out. If you want me to be completely honest, I'm still hoping for a Jack redemption.

I'm still sitting here wondering why I feel so broken at the end of this book. I think it's because right now, Bekah's won. She completely shattered Lexi and got Jack to propose. While we're unsure of Ramsey's true motivations, I don't really find him relevant right now.

It makes me sad that Bekah won. It leaves me feeling really dissatisfied and I hate that. I can't give this book a bad rating for it though, because anything that makes me think and feel this much is obviously well written and deserves a decent rating. I just really hope by the end of the third book these characters all either redeem themselves or get what they deserve.

4 of 5 stars.


Link to Kala's review on Goodreads:
www.goodreads.com/review/show/404248131






No comments:

Post a Comment