Saturday, January 19, 2013

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto



Title: Halo
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Blurb:
An angel is sent to Earth on a mission.

But falling in love is not part of the plan.


Three angels – Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human – are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments.

Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong.

The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?


Links:
Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
 
 Kala's Review:

This book was so terrible I couldn't finish. I made it through about 200 pages, so I think I gave it a good try! Between the juvenile characters/writing, completely nonsensical plot, and the author constantly breaking her own rules, I just couldn't do it.

Xavier and Bethany are so wooden and terrible and boring. Bethany is supposed to be an ANGEL who has SPOKEN TO GOD. Like, to his face. I'm an atheist, but I don't mind reading about religious type things in novels. There are some great angel novels out there, but this is NOT one of them. I digress. Bethany is awful. She and her angel friends are supposedly on a mission to battle evil forces by doing good deeds. Gabriel tells her she is not to make friends or get too close to humans, but apparently part of Bethany's mission is to go to high school. I have no idea why, because we're told that the evil forces are doing things like killing hundreds of people in the Middle East... and God sends Bethany to high school in what is described by the author as a 'sleepy' small town?

Bethany of course, instantly starts making friends, going to parties (WHERE SHE GETS DRUNK), having sleepovers, going to the mall, whatever. Basically acting like a normal teenager. Apparently teenage angels are the same as teenage people. I guess I would expect more from a minion of God who is on Earth to battle evil. Bethany instantly falls in love with Xavier, but I don't really get why. After a couple meetings, she just decides to reveal her big secret. Xavier then is all "OMG MY GIRLFRIEND IS AN ANGEL!"

...

That's about where I quit, because I just couldn't take it anymore. For an angel supposedly on Earth on a MISSION FROM GOD, Bethany is surprisingly selfish. She also did NOTHING to further her mission. From what I gather, her entire mission is to do good deeds and so far, she hasn't done even one.

I can't remember all the instances of the author breaking her own rules, but the one that sticks out is where she makes sure to mention how angels don't get tired. They could run marathons without breaking a sweat or breathing hard. But Bethany decides to run over to Xavier and starts talking "between breaths" like she's winded. Literally a handful of pages later!

Ugh, absolutely terrible. I'd rather read Breaking Dawn again than read any more of this tripe.
 
1 out of 5 stars.

Link to Kala's review on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/504885563

No comments:

Post a Comment