Thursday, October 18, 2012

Where She Went by Gayle Forman



Title: Where She Went
Author: Gayle Forman
Blurb:
It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.


Links:
Where She Went on Goodreads


Where She Went on Amazon

 
Gayle Forman's Website

 Kala's Review:


I liked this book so much more than If I Stay, and I don't know that I can really explain why. A lot of reviewers seemed to have disliked Adam's point of view compared to Mia's, but I preferred it.

If I Stay had that bittersweet sort of ending that left a lot of unanswered questions, and this book answered all of them. Adam was so broken when Mia was in the accident, and Mia leaving him afterwards shattered him completely. It tore me apart to read about the pain he suffered when she left him and when she reappeared in his life.

The writing was beautiful again, just as in the first novel, but I felt far more attached to the characters this time. Although there wasn't much 'plot' in this book, just as in the first, I didn't feel like it dragged. During If I Stay, I got bored of all the flashbacks. That wasn't the case with Where She Went. The breakdown and rebuilding of Adam and Mia's relationship was masterfully interwoven from chapter to chapter.

I admit I was concerned with how Forman would end it, but my fears were for nothing because the ending is satisfying and beautiful and left me sitting here with a happy smile on my face. This book is very, very good!

4 out of 5 stars.

Link to Kala's review on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/436187255

No comments:

Post a Comment