Monday, October 15, 2012

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa



Title: The Lost Prince
Author: Julie Kagawa
Blurb:
Don't look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them. 

That is Ethan Chase's unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he'd dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister's world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.


Links:
The Lost Prince on Goodreads


The Lost Prince on Amazon


 Julie Kagawa's Website

 Kala's Review:


ARC of this book provided by publisher from netgalley.com.  Thanks! :D

I just recently got introduced to Julie Kagawa's books, having only just finished The Iron King last week.  I've been hearing so much about The Lost Prince and I wasn't sure if I should read the entire Iron Fey series in order.  Unfortunately the next three books after Iron King were on hold at the library and I got approved for The Lost Prince, so I decided to go for it. 

I'm SO glad I did!

While reading this ahead of the rest of the earlier Iron Fey books might have caused a few spoilers, I don't think it will ruin the rest for me.  This book focuses solely on Ethan (and his friends), with short cameos from some characters from the earlier books.

Ethan was only a little boy (around 4 years old) during the original Iron Fey novels, and this book starts with him as a teenager dealing with the aftermath of everything Meghan left behind when she left to rule her Iron kingdom.  He has been tormented by the Fey for years, and has become withdrawn and bitter, making for a fascinating character.

Kagawa takes us on another journey through Nevernever, visiting a few familiar places and many many more new ones as Ethan reluctantly adventures through faeryland in an attempt to save his one (sort of) friend who has gone missing.  A dogged female school newspaper reporter (Kenzie) ends up accompanying him, and with her he starts to realize that maybe things aren't always what they seem at first glance.

I was so happy to see all of the familiar faces (Meghan, Ash, Puck, Grimalkin), but I was also ecstatic to meet the new ones as well.  Ethan is an amazingly complex character and it's fun to read about this adventure through his eyes.  He is a tough guy, as Kenzie likes to call him, but he has his reasons for being that way and eventually that tough guy exterior starts to crack.

Kierran is another interesting character, though I find myself less enamored with him and his love interest.  I found Ethan and Kenzie far more compelling.  While I didn't find Kierran as interesting as Ethan, I still enjoyed his storyline and I liked him as a character a lot more before the love interest showed up. 

I do have to say, the cover is not as gorgeous as her other covers.  Perhaps it is better in person (I only received an ebook version of it), but I found the covers of Iron King/Iron Knight/Iron Queen/Iron Daughter to all be stunningly beautiful and this one just isn't on that level, in my opinion.  The photoshop work around his face is jarring. :(

Overall, great novel!  I can't wait to dig in to the rest of Meghan's books while I wait for the sequel to this to be released! 

Highly recommend!

4 out of 5 stars.

Link to Kala's review on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/432428459

No comments:

Post a Comment