Friday, October 19, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer




Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Blurb:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Links:
Cinder on Goodreads


Cinder on Amazon

 
Marissa Meyer's Website

 Kala's Review:


I'm a sucker for retellings of Disney stories. You know all those cheesy Disney Cinderella remakes? Yeah, I've seen them all. The Hilary Duff one. The Selena Gomez one. All of them. AND I LOVE THEM!

I took awhile to pick this one up, because there was something about the sci-fi cyborg aspect that turned me off. I wish I hadn't waited so long though, because this book was awesome! It's sci-fi, but a lighter version that's easy to read and not as tech-heavy as the hardcore sci-fi tends to be.

Marissa Meyer's world building was a bit shaky at first and I struggled to get a feel for what it looked like, but her characters were all fleshed out and compelling and I got sucked in to their storylines almost from the first page.

There was a "twist" at the end that was obvious from nearly the beginning. I think the first time the author hinted at it, it was extremely obvious. I don't know if she meant it to be obvious or not, but it definitely was. I won't go in to further detail because it would spoil the story, and because the story was still so much fun that it didn't matter.

I am pretty upset at Meyer though, for that ending! Cliffhangers will be the death of me, for real. I can't wait for Scarlet (which appears to be Snow White plus Cinder!). Great book! Highly recommend! Don't let the sci-fi aspect scare you off, this is a great story!

4 out of 5 stars.

Link to Kala's review on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/353799133

No comments:

Post a Comment